reflections on the beach

by Katharine on March 6, 2012

As the wind blew and the clouds were rolling in, I dug my toes into the sand and looked out over the ocean.  Summer came and went in Australia and I feel like I got jipped of a proper hot Australian summer because of so much rain this year.  Today was the first time my toes pushed through white sand this year and it was so nice to take a mental break from the overwhelming events that have taken over my thoughts recently.

I sat on Bondi Beach digging my toes deeper into the sand and soaking up the little peaks of sun in between the clouds, sitting next to one of the first friends I made when I arrived in Australia nearly nine months ago.

We reminisced about our drunken nights together at the hostel, we laughed at each others recent debauchery, and we almost shed tears together because she’s leaving Australia next Monday and we won’t see each other again until I visit her in the UK in the Fall.

Time seriously flies by when you’re having so much fun.

It’s hard to believe I’ve been living in Australia for nine months; it’s even harder to believe that I’ve been abroad for almost one year.

I sat on the beach looking out over the ocean, thinking about all of the things that have happened to me since I arrived in this country on May 26, 2011.  Friendships.  Drunken stories.  Relationships.  Skydiving.  Personal growth.  Emotional healing.

Australia healed a big part of my soul.  I learned how to trust again.  I learned how to be vulnerable.  I broke barriers and reached far out of my comfort zone than I ever thought I would.  I accepted a lot of what didn’t go right since I’ve been here, knowing that they were mistakes, but rather lessons learned.  I learned to stand up for what I want and the things I believe in, even if I stand alone.  I learned the importance of communication, friendship, and that sometimes you just need to put yourself first.  I learned how to be me in a city of many.  I discovered how to be a good, genuine, loving, loyal person with good intentions and a strong passion and desire to be me and be happy.

People say that living abroad changes your life.  They weren’t kidding.  Australia (and every place I traveled to prior) has forever changed my life.  I’ve grown, adapted, healed, and changed.  I’ve learned to let go, move on, and forgive others.  Most importantly, I learned how to forgive myself.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

OhMyLaskmy March 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Love this post. It is nice to read stories and reflections like this one. Your positiveness is infectious.

Katharine March 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Thank you! I love hearing / knowing that my positiveness is helping others out there. :)

Kat March 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Oh, girl. I’m two weeks in, and approaching 5.5 months since I left the States. Part of me still wants to be everywhere all at once, but a bit part of me knows that leaving here in 11.5 months is going to be so fucking hard.

Can’t wait for our Friday plans!

Katharine March 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I have loved every single moment of being in Australia and this country feels like my second home now which is why it’s going to make leaving so hard. I know I’ll be back to Australia again, but it certainly won’t be the same.

So excited for Friday, dear!!! :)

Gina March 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Ahh, I can relate so much! I’m so excited to go home, but the thing is, Korea is literally my second home, and now I feel like I have to choose between the two. :(

And yes, they weren’t kidding. I have grown and changed more than I ever could have imagined while living abroad. Living abroad is a truly unique and amazing opportunity, and I am so grateful I got to experience it.

Will - Gap Daemon March 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Hey Katharine. This is my first time reading your blog! It’s a very cool read well done! I like what you say in this post about Australia healing your soul. I feel the same about a few other places I’ve had the pleasure of visiting – number one probably being Cambodia!

Katharine March 13, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Thanks for reading, Will! :) I have yet to visit Cambodia, but it is high on my list (hopefully visiting later this year to backpack through SE Asia). Would love your recommendations on where to go, what to do, etc. :)

Heidi May 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

You are a beautiful writer :)